Thursday, November 5, 2009

The Soundtrack of Our Lives

Ipods have created a generation with the power to score their daily lives. We can stylize the way we work out at the gym in the filmic style of a montage re: Rocky / South Park / Road Trip, or we can simply change the atmosphere of our commute. I personally get busted popping and / or locking to Justin Timberlake on the subway at least twice a week. It can be old and familiar or new and exciting. But when that interlude strikes you just right - the tempo changes, the pace quickens - a routine any other day becomes an inspired experience.

And so it was on my first of three flights from Australia to India, the warm up hour long hop and skip fromTasmania - Melbourne as the sun rose with the plane. The engine roared, the wheels floated off the runway and a burst of sunlight flashed my eyes as I ignored all requests by the flight staff regarding electronic devices and hit play on my ipod. A new Andrew Bird song slowly crescendoed in my ear. My foot tapped and I smiled uncontrollably. One song was single handedly setting the mood for the start of my journey, and I couldn't be more inspired. Then the chorus began, "a fatal premonition, you know you got to envision, a fiery crash."

I decided to read the rest of the flight.

2 comments:

Yaniv Aronson said...

I'm just happy to see Road Trip on the same list as Rocky and Road Trip. Hurry up with the Justin gets a horrible disease stories. That's why were all here.

Anonymous said...

Okay, so when the music ends and the toes stop tapping where are you?
Are you in India already or what, the suspense is killing me! I do not expect you to go the hospital again because that would be the same old song. Hope you are felling great.
We send our love! Mom and Russell